Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Silicone Over Mitts?

It's true! They are here and you should have one. No need to ever have to look at the dingy oven mitt hanging from above your stove. This is a new technology in silicone bakeware you can't miss.

Why Use Silicone Oven Mitts?


silicone oven mittI read about this fancy new space-aged oven mitt in my local paper in time for the the holidays and immediately put it on my gift list.They look so modern and high tech!
How can you not love a waterproof, heat-resistant glove that will protect your hand from boiling water up to 500 degrees F. Not that I plan to stick my hand in anything that hot any time soon. You definitely couldn't do that with your average mitt made out of cotton now could you?
This futuristic glove is made of heavy duty silicone and has that look of of a shark or killer whale in the eyes of my two young daughters. They were surprised when I opened my gift thinking it was a mistake and must have been for them.
I love that the manufacturer says it will protect your hand from direct heat, charcoal, boiling water and hot oil up to 500 degree F AND is dishwasher safe. I'm more concerned what this material could do to my dishwasher.
I have to admit it's little bulky on your hand. Even with the advertised "ribbed texture for easy gripping", you're not going to confuse it with any Playtex Living Gloves that were "so flexible you can pick up a dime."
They are not cheap at $20 to $25 bucks but if it keeps me from burning myself just once when grabbing a hot pan out of the oven, it will be well worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment